Heritage » History » 1930 to 1960

From the Depression to the Golden Jubilee

1930The Master, Cyril Gernand Harry Wittich, presented the Guild with its banner.
1931The Guild formed an association with HMS London (the eighth warship to bear that name) and presented a silver salver and a silver bowl.
1933The Guild's membership passed 1,500.
1935The Guild presented a Loyal Address to His Majesty King George V on the occasion of his Silver Jubilee.
29 December 1940Bakers' Hall was destroyed by enemy action. Most of the Guild's property was destroyed, including its valuable library, some early records of the Guild and some other treasures. The offices of the Guild's accountants were also destroyed, together with the Guild's ledgers. Most of the Guild's silver and plate was in the Bakers' Hall strong room and it survived. It was then moved to the country for safe keeping.
January 1941The Guild moved its office to Cordwainers' Hall in Cannon Street.
May 1941Cordwainers' Hall was destroyed by enemy action and the Guild moved its office to Butchers' Hall.
May 1942The Guild moved office again, this time to Tallow Chandlers' Hall, where the Guild happily remains to this day.
1943Due to the influence of the Guild's Chaplain, The Guild's annual service was held in the crypt of St Paul's cathedral for the first time. Until then the annual service had been held every year since 1909 in St Andrew Undershaft in Leadenhall Street in the Ward of Aldergate (as this was the Ward of Aldergate's church and the Guild had been founded in that Ward).
October 1945The Guild's silver and plate was brought back from the country and stored in the strong room at Tallow Chandlers' Hall.
7 March 1946The Guild assisted with the formation of the Freemen's Guild in the City of Coventry, and the Guild presented a Loving Cup to mark the a very close association has been maintained since then.
19 June 1946The Guild presented a Loving Cup to the Freemen's Guild of the City of Coventry to mark their inauguration.
27 November 1946The first annual banquet after the war was held in Guildhall. (Annual banquets had been suspended for the duration of the war).
19 December 1949In memory of Past Master Francis Sully, who had not only been an active member of the Court since 1915 but also had been editor of The Freeman for 25 years, the sum of £5,000 was transferred from the General Fund to set up a new charity in the Guild - the Francis Sully Educational and Charity Fund.
February 1954The first of the Guild's annual dinners at the House of Commons took place.
1955The Master, Henry John Edwin Stinson, composed the Freemen's Prayer for his Guildhall banquet and subsequent use.
March 1958The post of Deputy Master was abolished to bring the Guild in line with the City custom that only a Past Master could deputise for the Master. In place of the Deputy Master a new warden's post was created - the Under Warden.
1960The Guild celebrated the golden jubilee of its incorporation as a Company on 23 April 1910.
Top